Nomex® is a common spun fiber used in high-heat applications, most commonly firefighting applications. Nomex® is flame-resistant, resistant to high-temperatures, abrasion-resistant, and will not melt or drip, and carbonizes at 800°F Nomex® retains a soft feel, ensuring comfort when used as part of protective clothing or fire gear.
Nomex® is commonly used in conjunction with Kevlar® to achieve maximum strength and fire-resistance. Another popular characteristic of Nomex® is its ability to be dyed to order, allowing for enhanced branding capabilities.
Beyond firefighting, Sturges’ Nomex® webbings and straps are used in fall protection and industrial OEM applications. Nomex® also has properties to benefit aerospace projects and has been incorporated into several NASA vehicles.
These products are components recognized by Underwriters Laboratories:
- NFPA 1971 Structural Fire Fighting and Proximity Fire Fighting
- NFPA 1977 Protective Clothing and Equipment for Wildland Firefighting
- NFPA 1981 Open-Circuit Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) for Emergency Services
- NFPA 1983 Life Safety Rope and Equipment for Emergency Services
- NFPA 2112 Flame-Resistant Garments for Protection of Industrial Personnel Against Flash Fire
Note that these are just a small sampling of products that we offer. Don’t see a product that will meet your requirements? Please contact us. We have been making custom solutions for over 100 years and would be more than happy to help you develop a product that meets your needs.
Nomex® Engineered Webbing Products
Kevlar® and Nomex® are registered trademarks of the E. I. du Pont de Nemours and Company
Dyneema® is a registered trademark of DSM Protective Materials.
Vectran® is a registered trademark of Kuraray America, Inc.
Ensorba® is a registered trademark of Sturges Manufacturing Co., Inc